Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Boomerangs - For something different

In the words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different"
Boomerangs:

Boomerangs are loads of fun! Yes, they really work if you get a good one. The plastic ones from the dollar store usually don't work well.

I discovered boomerangs back in the early 1980s in high school. I ordered a Boomerang Man catalog from the back of a Popular Science magazine.

Ah, the good old days where you actually wrote a letter requesting a catalog, then wrote a check and sent it by mail to buy something from that catalog. Then waited 3 to 6 weeks for delivery.

I've been hooked ever since and I still have those same 'rangs' I ordered from 1980. I recently contacted the boomerang man and he remembers those boomerangs I ordered. He told me to put them on a shelf because they are no longer made. I don't know if they are actually valuable or not, but it was a good excuse to buy some new ones. Besides, it was fun 'talking' (emailing) to him. My wife ordered more for me one Christmas and once again, I am back on the field throwing boomerangs during lunch or during my daughter's soccer practices. 

I call it the Lazy Man's sport. But, only if you have a good boomerang and if you're good at it.  It's  good exercise and relaxing at the same time. You can get an easy to throw 'rang' and have a lazy afternoon's fun, or get some exercise with a hefty rang that needs a real good heave ho. 

It's also fun to draw a crowd and listen to them 'ooh' and 'aahh' as you throw and catch.  Many people just can't beleive they really work.  I had one high school girl tell me she always thought boomerangs were just a myth.  One day I entertained a boy scout troop that had just ended their meeting. They had lots of fun throwing my boomerangs. 

A favorite supplier of mine is the Boomerang Man as mentioned above.  https://www.boomerangman.com/  He has all sorts of boomerangs from all over the world. Prices range from inexpensive indoor foam rangs to $100 specialty rangs. Most of the boomerangs I like cost in the mid twenty dollar range.

You can also get a nice, American Made boomerang from Channel Craft through Amazon.com here:
This Yanaki boomerang is a favorite of many people. It takes quite a throw, so it's not really for the beginner.
Go ahead. Buy one, go to a big (preferably empty) field and have some fun!

News:
Oh, by the way. I have started (key word is 'started') a web site about Things I Like. It's pretty bland for now, but I promise to fill it up. It will mostly reflect my blog, but hey, it's a start. Please check it out.

Til next time! See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment